Corporate Social Responsibility
At Talia, our mission is to provide communications without boundaries. We aim to achieve this by using available resources to implement secure solutions that bridge the technology gap in regions where communication is restricted by the infrastructure.
Talia strives to be a good corporate citizen. Through our people, we are committed to promoting the protection of the environment, supporting charities and local communities, promoting equal opportunities, ensuring safe and efficient working practices and working with suppliers who uphold similar values.
Talia recognises that our people are our greatest asset and key to continued growth and success. As such, we are committed to providing careers and working environments in which our people can achieve to their maximum potential.
Talia has a commitment to keeping employees informed of Group affairs through news circulars and regular staff meetings. Employees can access the company’s intranet to obtain general information on Talia. Employees are encouraged to discuss operational issues with management and to suggest methods to improve performance and efficiency.
Developing future talent is fundamental to Talia. Through the Talia Academy and partnerships with learning institutions, we provide accredited training for all staff, including the opportunity of sponsorship to achieve recognised professional qualifications that are relevant to our sector. We provide full visibility of our technical staff, including their levels of training and experience to our customers and prospective customers. This provides assurance that our NOC staff and field technicians all meet the requisite standards of professionalism that our customers expect when we advise them and implement solutions.
- Provide clear and fair terms of employment for our employees.
- Provide clean, healthy and safe working conditions.
- A fair remuneration policy everywhere we operate.
- Strive for equal opportunities for all present and potential employees.
- Encourage employees to develop skills and progress their careers.
- Not to employ underage staff.
- Ensure that staff are aware of the Group’s policies on insider trading, bribery and inappropriate gifts, money laundering and whistleblowing.
- Encourage a harmonious working environment with zero tolerance towards bullying or to any form of harassment.
Talia is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and diversity employment and recognises that this is essential to ensuring the success and growth of the organisation. To this end, Talia makes every effort to select, recruit, train and promote the best candidates based on suitability for the job; to treat all employees and applicants fairly, regardless of race, gender, marital status, age, nationality, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation or disability; and to ensure that no employee suffers harassment or intimidation.
It is the policy of Talia to provide employment and to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate disabled individuals wherever business requirements will allow and if applications for employment are received from suitable candidates. Should an existing employee become disabled, every reasonable effort will be made to ensure that their employment with Talia can continue on a worthwhile basis and career opportunities are available to them.
Health, Safety and Welfare at Work
The health and safety, welfare and wellbeing of employees is of paramount importance to Talia. It is the policy of Talia to create and improve standards of Health and Safety, which will lead to the avoidance and reduction of risks and to ensure that the company complies with all Health and Safety legislation. A detailed Health and Safety Policy Statement is held at all branch premises and displayed on the notice boards.
Talia has achieved ISO 18001 accreditation since 2014 and we aspire to operate in line with the International Standard for Health and Safety Management in all of our branches throughout the world. Talia makes every reasonable and practicable effort to provide safe and healthy working conditions in all our offices and work sites. It is the duty of all employees to exercise responsibility and to do everything they can to prevent injury to themselves and to others. The policy standards and procedures are communicated to employees through contracts of employment, staff handbooks, operating manuals, bulletins and notice boards and staff training as appropriate.
Talia is committed to ensuring the integrity and security of its business information with particular attention given to personal and sensitive data – where inappropriate usage or inadequate maintenance and safeguarding could have serious repercussions. Talia policies and procedures are based on its requirements for a secure operating environment, an assessment of the risks that the company faces and relevant legal and best-practice requirements. Talia is compliant with all aspects of the Data Protection Act (DPA) and is listed in the Data Protection Register (ZA058007).
Responsibility for information security sits with a dedicated Group Information Security Manager who is responsible for the strategic management of information security, including risk management, together with implementation and enforcement of the Information Security Policy.
It is Talia’s objective to operate worldwide in a safe, responsible manner, which protects the environment. This has been the cornerstone of our Environmental Management System through which we achieved ISO 14001 accreditation since 2014. Our primary objective is to minimise our carbon footprint and any negative impact we may have on the environment.
Talia takes into account the interest of all its stakeholders including our employees, customers and suppliers, as well as the local community and the environment in which we operate. Talia’s reputation is one of our key assets and, as a major player in the satellite communications sector, adhering to the highest standards of integrity, personal conduct, ethics and fairness are deemed to be of vital importance.
- To be honest and fair in our relationships with our customers.
- Provide the standards of product and service that have been agreed.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety and quality of products and services that we sell.
- To be honest and fair in our relationships with suppliers and subcontractors.
- Pay suppliers and subcontractors in accordance with agreed terms.
- Uphold our policy not to offer, pay or accept bribes or substantial favours.
- Encourage suppliers and subcontractors to abide by the same standards and principles.
- We aim to make the communities in which we work, better places to live and do business.
- To be sensitive to the local community’s cultural, social and economic needs.
- Endeavour to protect and preserve the environment wherever Talia operates.
- Through our Talia Technology Foundation, we encourage our subsidiary businesses to support causes within their local communities.
- Engage in consultation with relevant trade bodies on issues affecting the satellite industry including the World Teleport Association (WTA) and the Global VSAT Forum (GVF), both of which we are members.